Skip to content

Drumroll please!

September 7, 2010

Now that school is back in session, I'm going to be at my bench cranking out more supplies like these lovely little headpins ...

So this morning was the first day of school in our neck of the woods. That means it is also the first morning in about 10 weeks that I’ve sat here with a quiet moment to myself and the opportunity to reflect on this blog. But before I start talking shop, let me just say that the first few hours in my house today was a little touch and go — like an old ER episode where buildings have just exploded, everyone is crashing, and the people “in charge” are running around yelling things like “Stat” and “CBC and Chem 7”. Fortunately, there was no actual blood, but its safe to say that things definitely could have gone a whole lot smoother.

Looking back, there were signs of frayed edges all day yesterday, though naturally I didn’t really see it at the time. I had sprung out of bed with my drill sergeant pants  on, ready to assemble the troops and bark some orders, but those goals quickly faded at the sight of my son’s melancholy tears. He was SOOOOO sad about the end of summer. Transitions like this are tough for him, so instead of making sure all our ducks were in order we spent a lot of time instead talking about what we did over the summer and how great his new school year would be. We managed to take a little shopping trip to buy all the necessary school supplies (OK, maybe I had been dragging my feet, too), and then the rest of the afternoon was spent taking a glorious motorcycle ride through the postcard-perfect back country roads of Bucks County. With the sun on our faces and the wind in our hair, we truly enjoyed those last few hours of summer vacation.

Fast forward to this morning when both my husband and I roll out of bed only to realize that the reason Eli hadn’t set out any clean clothes for his first day of school was because he didn’t really have any clean clothes. (Did I mention how I  blew off my mom when she suggested I buy Eli a new shirt for school?). Anyway, it took my husband 20 minutes to sort out the clothes situation and find something decent for Eli to wear. Meanwhile, I’m trying to make breakfast and lunches and basically remember how to function before 8 in the morning without several cups of coffee. Then the phone rings. It’s the dentist’s office with a more than annoyed hygienist on the other line, calling because my husband had an appointment for a cleaning at 7:45 this morning and he has not shown up. Who had the great idea to schedule an early morning appointment on the first day of school?

After I finish that call, I realize things aren’t looking any better on the lunch front because I can’t find an appropriate lunch sack ~ the one from last year was evidently scrapped when it was discovered that it hadn’t been properly emptied. (Trust me, YUCK was not my first word on finding that, but you’re close). At this point, I’m the one who is weepy with frustration, my husband is running about muttering to himself that “this is the year we are finally going to get our act together and have a smooth morning routine” and Eli  is wandering around in circles wondering what should happen next. Finally, by some miracle of miracle, we manage to get the lunch, the school supplies, and the boy all lined up and headed for the door with 15 minutes to spare. How did THAT happen?

Fortunately, this story has a happy ending as soon as we leave the house. You see, my son attends an amazing charter school here in town with an environmental/sustainable focus. Anticipating the crowds of parents, we decide to park a few blocks away and walk over. And as soon as I open my door, I hear drums beating. The music teachers have set up a drumming circle to welcome the kids, and we can hear these wonderful tribal sounds from a few blocks away! As we approach, we see the 5th graders are assembling on the front lawn under the big trees, the local coffee shop has set up a wonderful assortment of scones and caffeine for the parents, and the sidewalks are decorated with cool messages and artwork to welcome the kids. Needless to say, Eli slipped away from me and into fourth grade as easily as a fish returns to water.

4 Comments leave one →
  1. Stan permalink
    September 7, 2010 2:28 pm

    Now I know why YOU wanted to take him to school this morning instead of me. Scones?! Dang….

    ~Shea’s husband

  2. September 8, 2010 12:49 am

    Oh, how wonderful! I’m always hearing such great stories about kids’ first days of school – sure different than when I was in school!

  3. Mariska permalink
    September 11, 2010 7:31 am

    So glad to hear we’re not the only ones with chaos in the a. m.! But that was a very sweet morning at school, I so agree.

    Here’s to a great year, my friend!


  1. Sorry there, friends … « gr8findings

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: